Friday, April 22, 2011

Six pack or keg?

Are you reminiscing about what used to be, trying to figure how to get that college body or pre-baby body back?

Well, it’s simple when you know what to do.  Note I said simple (as in not complicated), but it can be challenging to make the necessary changes in your life to achieve the goal.

The secret is what you eat. I am proof that you don’t have to do traditional sit-ups and crunches in order to get a six pack.  Never in my life have I focused on doing a particular number of crunches, sit-ups or abs.

However, I’ve always been committed and loyal to healthful eating.  By making healthy eating choices, I’ve maintained a flat stomach with muscle definition.

My eating habits include:
1.    Little or no fried foods  (I might eat something fried, prepared at home,  once a month)
2.    No white flour products (including white bread, crackers. I eat gluten free whole grain bread, gluten free crackers and gluten free brown rice pasta)
3.    Little or no refined sugar (Although it’s nearly impossible to eliminate all sugar from your diet because sugar is naturally occurring in some things like fruit, I try not to eat processed foods that are loaded with sugar.)
4.    Low fat (whenever you can, opt for foods that are naturally low in fat like free range meats, fruits, veggies and nuts)

And in case you’re wondering how much body fat one must have to see their six pack, for men 10-16 percent and for women 14-18 percent. Check out this article that provides more information and instruction on how to measure body fat.

Finally, as a supplement to my eating, I like to maintain a strong core, which includes the abdomen, obliques and back. 

Obviously, this will help with the look of your six pack and keep you fit.  Just about everything you do is connected to your core.

So, remember first cut the fat and then shape the muscle. If you already have a flat stomach and want definition, then kick up your workout with core exercises.  And although I don’t prefer them, old fashion crunches and sit-ups will help get the job done.

Here are some resources that provide exercises and tips to get you started.

How to get six pack abs

Strengthening your abs for better athletic performance

Beginner and advanced core exercises

Over 70 body weight core exercises

I am a certified Crossfit Kettlebell instructor, triathlete and former trained dancer. I am not a nutritionist or a doctor. Information I share is based on my own research and experience. Before beginning a diet or fitness routine you should consult your physician or a health professional. For question and comments about this blog, contact me at akiia.james@abc11mail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment