Friday, April 22, 2011

Are you going down with the house or taking a stand?


Follow Akiia James on Twitter: http://twitter.com/akiiajames

One of the things I heard about marriage is that it's similar to your freshman year of college in that you’ll gain weight.


Well, I certainly did not pack on the freshman 15, but I did see some fluctuation after getting married. 
 
When I began college I was 17 and when I got married I was 27.  After marriage, my lifestyle changed dramatically and my body changed along with it (i.e. metabolism). 
 
Keep that in mind as we lament about not being able to look like we’re in our 20s. Although not impossible, it’s improbable for most of us.  However, it is possible to look great -- you just won’t look the same.
 
What happens when you settle into marriage, a relationship or some other living situation where you begin to adopt the eating habits of those in your household?  One person's lifestyle usually becomes the default for the house.
 
That means either everyone eats healthy or everyone succumbs to not so healthy eating.
 
So, when you combine age, lifestyle change and unhealthy eating choices, you get weight gain.  Some weight gain is natural with age and a slower metabolism, but weight gain is ultimately fueled by the choices we make.  We often forget that as we age, we have to eat less and work out more to maintain the fitness level and physical look of our younger years.
 
How do you make sure the healthy lifestyle prevails in a household filled with different eating habits and philosophies about working out?
  1. Cook for the house -- if you  control the meals, you control the quality
  2. Shop with your housemate -- when included in decision making, people are more willing to change or make compromises
  3. Set rules -- if there are unhealthy foods the household abuses, don’t allow those foods into the house
  4. Workout together -- working out as a unit not only creates a stronger bond between participants, but makes you accountable to someone else
  5. Set goals -- all housemates need to share their goals so that they can get support in meeting those goals.  This also is a chance for everyone to get on the same page.


Here’s a great article that can be applied to all households even though it focuses on the husband-wife dynamic.



 
I am a certified Crossfit Kettlebell instructor, triathlete and former trained dancer. I am not a nutritionist or a doctor. Information I share is based on my own research and experience. Before beginning a diet or fitness routine you should consult your physician or a health professional. For question and comments about this blog, contact me at akiia.james@abc11mail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment