Friday, April 22, 2011

Change your perspective, change your situation

Recently, I decided to take the advice of my doctor and try a dairy-free and gluten-free diet (or eat as little of those products as possible).

I figured since I always strive to be healthier, it would be a natural next step for me. Unlike some people who follow strict diets, I do not suffer from food allergies nor do I have any moral issues against eating certain foods.

As I contemplated how I would stop eating cheese, yogurt and ice cream, I recalled an episode of the Gayle King Show.  King told listeners a story about her son and his outlook on life.

King’s son, Will, is a recent college graduate who works in NYC. During a recent visit from college friends, Will found himself complaining to his friends about working long hours and being tired from so much work.  After complaining, he realized that he probably sounded self absorbed.

Will thought about all of the recent graduates who are unemployed, the high employment rate and the current state of the economy. He thought about all of the opportunities he has been afforded and realized his situation isn’t bad, especially given the current financial climate.

Will told his mother he quickly gained a new outlook on his situation by changing his perspective. He began telling himself that his long hours and hard work would be greatly appreciated by others who have no job or no way to pay their bills and that his immediate situation is a part of paying dues.

So, as I thought about no eating pizza, scrambled eggs with cheese and other culinary milk delights, I reminded myself that the changes are minor and should not be viewed as inconveniences because they are by choice.  Ultimately, small changes I make now will affect how I feel in the future.

Besides, because I have no known food allergies, I can partake in those restricted foods every now and again-- using the foods more as a treat than a staple.

I’m happy to report some unscientific data. Since I began my journey about six weeks ago, I’m about 95 percent dairy-free and about 75 percent gluten-free.  Immediately, I noticed my abdomen area deflate, my joints are no longer stiff and I have not had any inflammation in my sinus cavity.  I’m pretty sure I’ve lost weight, but I don’t own a scale so I’m unable to provide that data at this time.

For more information about dairy-free and gluten-free diets, check out these links:

http://www.godairyfree.org/

http://www.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/alt-dairy-free-diet

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/MY01140

 I am a certified Crossfit Kettlebell instructor, triathlete and former trained dancer. I am not a nutritionist or a doctor. Information I share is based on my own research and experience. Before beginning a diet or fitness routine you should consult your physician or a health professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment