Friday, April 22, 2011

No time, no fresh produce, no worry CSAs to the rescue

Follow Akiia James on Twitter: http://twitter.com/akiiajames

My memories of childhood include spending time in my grandparent’s garden and having homemade meals prepared with ingredients from that garden. 

The advantage of a garden in your back yard means accessibility to the freshest produce year-round.  And even if my grandparents didn’t have a garden, they had access because they knew so many farmers or people with gardens in their community.

Today, my grandparents still garden and my mother has follows in their footsteps by maintaining her own organic vegetable and herb garden. Unfortunately, because my mom lives in another city, I don’t always have the opportunity to get fresh produce from her.

And on the weekend, my trips to the farmers market are often thwarted by the desire to sleep in.

My solution was to join a CSA.  I actually belong to two.  One membership that I share with my mom and another one I just joined locally.

With the popularity of farmers markets and co-op grocery stores more people want in on accessibility. And now they can get it by joining a CSA.

A CSA is Community Supported Agriculture.  It’s a local or community based farm or group of farms that service a specific geographic area.  Shares or memberships are offered to the public for a fee. 

Most CSAs require a membership fee or deposit for the year, in addition to a weekly delivery cost. Traditional CSAs are great because you usually deal with one farm.  But read carefully because some memberships may require sweat equity at the farm or you may to have pickup your produce weekly.

As a member of a CSA you will have access to locally grown produce and goods (sometimes dairy products, baked goods and other locally produced foods).  Other benefits include helping reduce your carbon footprint, saving time in the store, saving money, trying a variety of foods and having piece of mind about where your food comes from.

Check out this info and find a CSA near you.  I promise once you try it, you will wonder how you survived without it.

Local Harvest
This is a national database of CSAs.  You can search for one in your city or town by zip code.  Fees will vary.

Produce Box
This CSA is non-traditional in that it’s comprised of several farms... It also does not have some of the upfront fees associated with a traditional CSA.  There’s a $10 fee per year and then a weekly cost.  If you choose to skip a week, you can do so with no cost to you.  Also, you have the opportunity to choose between three designated boxes of produce each week.  

I am a certified Crossfit Kettlebell instructor, triathlete and former trained dancer. I am not a nutritionist or a doctor. Information I share is based on my own research and experience. Before beginning a diet or fitness routine you should consult your physician or a health professional. For question and comments about this blog, contact me at akiia.james@abc11mail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment