Friday, April 22, 2011

'I don’t eat food out of the refrigerator'

Follow Akiia James on Twitter: http://twitter.com/akiiajames

I was watching that show on a cable network where the cameras go inside celebrity homes for an inside look at living like a star.  One of the best known parts of this show is when the celebrity opens his or her refrigerator and shows the pièce de résistance.

So, the refrigerator opens and the person, who I will identify as a multi-platinum selling artist, says, “I don’t eat food out of the refrigerator.” 

My husband and I looked at each other with chagrin. All I could say was, "Wow!" The artist literally had nothing but beverages in his fridge.

I get it. He has personal chefs who are staffed 24/7 and can make one serving at a time so there are no leftovers. 

Unless you’re making as much money as that guy, have no desire to eat in between meals and have your kitchen staffed with chefs, I advise you to step back into reality.

I’ve heard many people proclaim they don’t eat leftovers and feel the need to have a newly prepared meal every time they eat. Do you realize how much money and food you are wasting?

If you were to hang on to your leftovers for just one day and repurpose them for lunch, you could save about $35 a week -- and that’s just one person.  Imagine if everyone in your family avoided leftovers and ate lunch out every day.  That adds up to hundreds of dollars a month.

I suggest cooking less at each meal and using the leftover meals and ingredients to create a tasty lunch for the next day.  If you’re cooking food that can’t be transformed into lunch, consider changing what you cook to accommodate lunch the following day.

Also, leftovers mean more than prepared meals, it also means ingredients purchased to make specific meals.

Don’t you hate it when you purchase items for a meal and then have leftover ingredients you don’t know what to do with? 

Sometimes it’s easy with proteins like beef and chicken, which can easily be transformed into sandwiches, soups, salads and burritos.  All it takes is a little imagination and planning.

Your wallet and your waistline will be grateful.

Meals you prepare at home are much healthier and cheaper than prepared meals purchased in a store or ordered from a restaurant at lunch.

For those of you who don’t get around the kitchen well and need assistance in planning your two-for-one meals, check out this article. It highlights websites that assist with using your leftovers. 

Leftovers? There's a app for them, too

I am a certified Crossfit Kettlebell instructor, triathlete and former trained dancer. I am not a nutritionist or a doctor. Information I share is based on my own research and experience. Before beginning a diet or fitness routine you should consult your physician or a health professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment